Friday, May 28, 2010

School time

One of the things I love the most about homeschooling is the flexibility it offers. On a daily, weekly, and even yearly basis. We only "do" school a few hours a day. We don't have to do school every single day. We can do school on the weekends if we want. We could even skip an entire month or two if need be. Which is exactly what we did when Leah was born. So now we're working on the last leg of our school year as the rest of the schools are winding down. It's nice to not have to worry about "what are we gonna do with ourselves this summer??" :)

I've been thinking a lot about what curriculum I want to use for next year. I'm happy with some of what we're using this year, but looking for a change with some of it too.

This is what we're using this year for Natalie, who is in 1st grade.
Math - Alpha Omega Lifepac, 1st grade
Language Arts - Alpha Omega Lifepac, 1st grade
Phonics - Explode the Code, books 1-4
Science - BJUpress, 1st grade
History - BJUpress, 1st grade

Erica has been doing some schoolwork here and there from various workbooks and activities, and has sat in on a few of Natalie's science and history lessons.

Next year Natalie will be 2nd grade and Erica will be Pre-K. I really wanted to find a curriculum that I could do with them together as much as possible. One of the things I love about homeschooling is that my kids get to spend a lot of time together and foster strong relationships with their siblings. So here is what I'm looking at for next year.
Natalie:
Math - Alpha Omega Lifepac, 2nd grade
Language Arts - Alpha Omega Lifepac, 2nd grade
Phonics - Explode the Code, books 5-8

Erica:
Phonics - Get Ready, Get Set, and Go for the Code

Both:
Five in a Row, Vol. 1 unit studies

I've started the Code for Erica and she's doing really well with it. I haven't bought any of the other new curriculum yet, so I could change my mind. But I'm really excited about the FIAR. I think the girls are gonna really like it. They love reading books, and admittedly, we've been doing not near enough of that lately.

Recently we've been doing science and/or history in the mornings downstairs. Usually Leah is taking her morning nap and Graham is up and playing in the playroom. Then after lunch, Graham takes his nap and we go upstairs to the schoolroom to do the rest of our subjects. Erica gets done pretty quick and then usually goes to lay down for her nap or "quiet time". Leah is sometimes awake and sometimes napping. I took these yesterday during our afternoon school time.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I love this simple picture because it captures what school time is for us much of the time. Sitting on the floor in our pajamas, pondering the answer to a question with a wide-eyed baby looking on in delight. School time is together time for our family, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Photobucket

Leah is learning too! She has learned that her hands are FASCINATING!
Photobucket
Photobucket

and she's learned to give the best smiles that completely melt my heart!
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment