Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day 2010

I hope everyone had a nice weekend! We were busy and got a lot accomplished. The kids were so excited to have Daddy home on Monday and we took advantage of it! I made strawberry and blueberry pancakes for breakfast, per Natalie's request. Then we spent the morning just relaxing. Eric grilled hamburgers for lunch. After lunch I took Graham and Natalie to get haircuts. I know Graham really needed that mop on his head trimmed down, but I wish I wouldn't have gotten so much cut off. It really changes his look so much! Of course I think he's adorable with any haircut, but I really liked the "less buzzed" look on him. At least it will be cool for the summer until it starts growing back out. Natalie just got a trim. During naptime, Eric helped me organize the schoolroom. He put together some shelves for me, and we rearranged some of the furniture. I am really excited to finally have things in order in here! I made fish tacos for dinner, then we took the kids to the school parking lot to ride bikes. Natalie wanted to learn to ride without training wheels. Actually, she's been asking for some time now, but we just haven't had the chance to take her and do it. I have never seen her more determined to do anything in her life! Eric would take her around the lap, holding on. Then she'd want to try a lap by herself. This went back and forth for quite a while, and she didn't look to be making too much progress. I know though, that if she kept with her determination, she'd get it. And sure enough, she was able to stay up for 2 seconds, then 4 seconds, then 10 seconds, until she was eventually able to go all the way across the parking lot by herself! Halfway through she wanted to take off her elbow and knee pads, and of course the one spill she took was after that. She only ended up with a small scrape on her knee, but no tears! I'm so proud of her! Now that she knows how to ride, we are going to get her a bigger bike, since she has outgrown this one.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

chucking the deuce??? haha
Photobucket

We brought Graham's little ride-on car, but he decided it wasn't fast enough to ride it, so he'd push it...
Photobucket

And then when that still wasn't fast enough to keep up with his sisters, he tried to cut across the middle of the parking lot, but had to lift it over the bumps...
Photobucket
Photobucket

And eventually gave it up altogether and just ran...
Photobucket

and ran...
Photobucket

He kept testing his limits to see how far we'd let him go
Photobucket

He really wanted to go to the fenced in playground
Photobucket

And all that running around, made him sooo thirsty. I think he drank at least 2 bottles of water in the hour or so we were there.
Photobucket

Erica just recently got the hang of riding her bike at all. She told us she was NOT ready to ride without training wheels. Good girl, one step at a time!
Photobucket

She loved to ring her bell!
Photobucket

And I can't leave out sweet Leah. She was content the whole time!
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. What a fun afternoon! Go Natalie! I will have to show Lydia these photos--maybe it will inspire her! What size is Natalie's bike? I'm thinking it looks like a 12"? I think Lydia's is a 16". We got it for her when she turned 4 and it still fits her pretty well. I wanted to ask you, too, where did you get Graham's shoes? Does he have wide feet? I can't remember. I'd like to get something like that for Luke but his foot is so stinking wide. I usually can't get him shoes from anywhere but Stride Rite.

    ReplyDelete