Thursday, April 7, 2011

Seven on the Seventh: What I Wanted to be When I Grew Up

It's the second installment of "Seven on the Seventh" over at Where the Child Things Are. This month the topic is, What I wanted to be when I grew up.

1. The earliest thing I can remember wanting to be is a "fairy princess". I don't know exactly what sparked my interest in this, but I think it's the obligatory little girl dream, don't you?

2. When I was in elementary school, I had this little fashion designer set. It had 3 sets of plates: one for heads/hair, one for tops, and one for bottoms. You put together the outfits you liked, then put a piece of paper over top, and used a crayon sideways held in this thing to rub over it to make the design. I LOVED that thing. That's when I wanted to be a fashion designer.

3. There was a point when I wanted to be a hair dresser. My best friend and I would play beauty shop for hours and hours.

4. In 5th grade, we took a field trip to Space Center Houston. After that I wanted to be an astronaut. I had friends who said they'd never be astronauts because what if the shuttle exploded, and they died. I said I wasn't scared of that because it would be so fast that I wouldn't feel it. What an odd thing to say at 11 years old.

5. I can't pinpoint an exact timeframe, but I know for awhile I wanted to be a singer/actress. I pretty much wanted to be like the Olsen Twins. Except I was just one person. But, you know, kind of the same thing. Glad that didn't work out exactly like I wanted haha.

6. When I was in high school and really trying to figure out what I wanted to be, I was kind of confused. I didn't even know of most occupations in the world. All I knew was school. All I could say was that I wanted to work in a building downtown, because that seemed important. So when I was a junior, I took "business" for an elective, thinking that would teach me about the important wear-a-suit-to-work-in-your-downtown-skyscraper-office business. Um, wrong. It was about real business. Like owning/running a business. Not what I wanted to do for sure!

7. Then when I really sat down and thought about it, I said, "I want a job where I can do algebra problems all day." That was the day I decided I wanted to be a jr. high/high school math teacher. And that is what I ultimately ended up going to school for. I still don't have a degree, but I have a heck of a lot of college credits toward one. I am still a teacher, but it will be a few years before we start algebra. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment