Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Our Afternoon Adventure

We got in a car accident yesterday. We're all fine, but I thought I'd just let everyone know what happened so I don't have to keep repeating the story over and over.

Eric's dad and stepmom had come in for the weekend - for Eric's brother's graduation on Friday in College Station, and then his dad worked some here on base on the weekend, and then attended Eric's promotion ceremony on Sunday afternoon. They had separate flights back to D.C. (I'm assuming because the military was covering his and they were paying for hers on their own). Well, her flight was supposed to connect in Houston, but because of the torrential downpour in Houston, her flight was delayed, then delayed some more, then finally canceled. She called Eric to see if he could come pick her up from the airport and stay with us until today when her flight would leave out. He had just gotten home from work and the girls didn't want him to leave, so I suggested we all go. The way we have the carseats situated in the van: Erica and Leah are in the middle row (there are only 2 seats), and Natalie and Graham are in the third row, with an empty seat between them. I sat in the back between Natalie and Graham, so that Christy could sit in the front when we picked her up.

So, we're heading down the road, going at least 50mph (as that was the speed limit). Eric said he saw a car start to pull out on our left, but he assumed they were going to turn into the lane and merge with traffic. Once he realized they were still going straight, he slammed on the brakes and swerved to avoid them, but they hit the driver side door and knocked us off the road. They must not have seen us at all (still not sure how you couldn't see a big minivan coming, but whatever) because they were still going full speed when they hit us.

Once I kind of figured out what was going on (I didn't see anything as it happened), I started looking around for the other car and didn't see it. All I remember is I was screaming about how I couldn't believe they'd hit us and drive off! I was so mad! Then I saw that the kids (mostly Graham and Erica) were getting upset, and I realized I had to calm down. So I made sure they were all ok, and got them calmed down. When I looked up to see how Eric was, he was already outside on the phone with the insurance company, getting a police officer to the scene. I got out and wasn't sure what to expect when I saw the damage. I knew we'd been hit on the driver side, but when I saw it was a direct hit where Eric had been sitting, I almost lost it. I ran up to him making sure he was ok, asking him if he'd been hurt etc. He said he was fine.

There was a couple who had been standing across the street who saw the whole thing. They came right over to make sure we were ok. They stayed with us and gave statements to the police officer. The car that hit us did stop about half a mile down the road. It was a 16 year old girl and she was pretty shaken up. She was fine too. I don't think she fled the scene maliciously, but more because she was freaked out and didn't know what to do. Not that that makes it right, but... it's up to the officer whether or not she'll be charged with a hit & run.

Eric thinks they're going to total our van, but we'll find out today. I hope not because I know they won't give us enough to get something equivalent. We paid cash and got a great steal on that van. Just really aggravates me. But I'm trying not to get bent out of shape about it til we know for sure.

The couple that came over and helped us offered to drive us home. So Leah, Graham, Erica and I went with them and then the police officer drove Natalie and Eric home.

I'm sure I'm leaving out some details, but that's the main story. Praise God that no one was hurt!!!

Our van


the other car

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are all okay! Its extra scary when your kids are with you. Make sure the insurance company doesn't try to low ball you if it does get totaled. The carseats will have to be replaced too so make sure they pay you for them! Tons of P&PT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God you're all ok. Wow, sooo crazy. Just to confirm: did she go through a stop sign or a red light? How do you just go straight through traffic??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy - the carseats are definitely being filed with the insurance!

    Denise - let me see if I can explain it better... zhe was coming out of a neighborhood and crossing 4 (5, including the center turn lane) lanes of traffic. There was a stop sign there, but it's a really busy intersection. We were in the last lane she was trying to cross. I don't know if she thought she could get across before us, or if she just didn't see us. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I'm sorry to keep complaining about this, but if they total our van and we can't afford to get something somewhat equivalent, I'm gonna be so mad. It's not fair that some girl was careless and so we have to drive some crappy falling apart car or go into debt to get something else. Ok, rant over. For now. lol

    ReplyDelete