Thursday, June 11, 2009

Our Day Out

Once again my friends Jordan and Ariana have done a fabulous job buddy-posting, and have inspired me to do a post of my own about... going out with the kids! I go somewhere with my kids almost every day. I can't stand spending more then 1-2 days a week at home all day. I'm definitely not an expert on going out with the kids, but I think for the most part, I have come up with things that work FOR US.

I really only have 2 tips. Everything else just kind of falls under one of those.

TIP #1 - Be Realistic
I know that if I try to go out when it's naptime, or mealtime, the kids are going to be tired and whiny, or downright awful. I know if we are gone ALL DAY running errands, I will be bashing my head into the concrete at the end of the day. I know my kids' limits, and try as hard as I can to stay within them. There is of course the occasional dr. appt. that we have to take at an odd time, so we just do the best we can in those situations.

I also can't expect that my children are going to do exactly what I say and act perfectly all the time (ha! wouldn't that be nice!). I have to realize that they are children after all, and expect that things are not going to go as planned all the time.

Kids are curious and I can't expect that they won't want to explore any and everything in their sight. I tell them they can touch things with 1 finger. This works so well! They get to quench their thirst of curiosity without pulling clothes down from the racks or knocking down display cases.

I can't expect that grocery shopping is going to be exciting for them. So I try to find ways to make it a little more enjoyable. Sometimes we stop and get a hot chocolate or Icee at the beginning of the trip. Sometimes I let them help pick which foods we should get (cereal, fruit etc.). Sometimes we play games like I Spy. Anything to keep them from saying the dreaded, "Are we ready to pay yet?"

TIP #2 - Be Prepared
I have to plan out where we'll be going and what we'll need. I have to make sure I have everything ready before we leave the house. Do I need a fully stocked diaper bag (for going to church or the gym where Graham will be in childcare) or will just a couple diapers/wipes do (quick trip to 1 place under an hour)? Will the girls need things to keep them entertained (dr. appts.)? Are we going to eat lunch while we're out? Will Graham need a bottle while we're out?

Today, I had 3 things I wanted to accomplish outside the house.
1 - gym
2 - Target, quick trip
3 - mall, 2 stores

I planned to leave after Graham's first nap (he usually wakes up between 9-10am). So during his nap, I made sure I had everything ready that I needed. Since we were going to the gym, I needed a fully stocked diaper bag (lots of diapers, wipes, extra clothes, bib, burp rag, ready made bottle, pacifier, blanket, toys). And since we were going to run other errands afterward, I needed to bring a change of clothes etc, for me. Since we'd be gone during/around lunchtime, I planned that we'd eat lunch at Luby's in the mall. The girls always eat so well there, and it's not fast food! Not that I am against fast food AT ALL, just that it's what we usually get when we're out, so when I have the chance to do something different - that's easy - I go for that. So I also put some baby food for Graham in the diaper bag, and stuff to make another bottle if needed. The girls would get a snack at the gym, and wouldn't need anything else for entertainment while we were out. Done!

Ready to go! The girls keep a few things in the car to play with. Natalie is playing with a magnet board in this pic.
Photobucket
Graham always has some sort of toy to play with as well. Our van has a built in DVD player and we also have a portable one. But they only get used on long trips. Our day to day trips are short enough that I don't even bother with it. We save it for when we go out of town, or anytime they're going to be in the car for an hour or more at once.
Photobucket

We got to the gym and they fed Graham a bottle, and the girls got snacks. I worked myself into a sweaty mess. No pictures of that! LOL

Then we went to Target (it's in the same parking lot as the gym)

We usually have this set up - Graham in the front, Erica in the back, and Natalie walking. Erica rarely wants to walk, and it's easier for me this way. If I know we're getting a lot of things, I try to get one of those buggies that has the extra 2 seats in the front for big kids and put the girls there, then Graham in the seat w/ his cart cover (check out my friend Maryum's store, she made Graham's).
Photobucket

And we use a cart cover because of this...
Photobucket

The girls were mad because we had to leave the gym. The LOVE going there.
Photobucket
Photobucket

After Target we headed to the mall. First stop, lunch at Luby's.
Hold his own bottle, yeah right.
Photobucket

Mmmmm, Jello! (notice the empty plates! - fish, corn, okra, mac n cheese, wheat roll - DEVOURED)
Photobucket

Balloons!
Photobucket

Natalie takes any opportunity to help with Graham.
Photobucket

We tied the balloons to their arms (and Graham's to the stroller) while we went in the 2 stores I needed to go to. Then before getting into the car, we let them go (that's my rule, I hate balloons in the car).
Photobucket
Photobucket

We made it home 3 hours after we left and everyone was happy!

2 comments:

  1. Funny how Tall won't hold his own bottle...mine won't either! LOL! Mine loves his sippy cup though and I saw that you are using the same one with Tall...that's neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, the kids all looked so cute that day!
    Sounds like everyone does things similarly when on errands. My kids are EXACTLY like yours with the cart thing. Brooklyn always walks, Sierra always wants a ride in the cart so she goes in the back and Payson, of course, is in the top part.

    It's funny that Graham won't hold his bottle yet. Does he even try or does he always have his arms completely out of the way like that? lol

    ReplyDelete