Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day in the Life 6/27/11

I had a very sweet blog friend ask me if I'd participate in a Day in the Life series. Basically, I'll blog about what I did that day. I told her I'd thought it'd be pretty boring for most people to read, especially because I don't take pictures throughout the day normally. But she said she thought it would be great to see what a homeschooling mom of 4 does with her days! So, I agreed. I will blog as many days out of the week as I can. But, you have fair warning, that I don't lead a very interesting life!

Today I'm going to blog about my day yesterday, Monday June 27.

Graham is always the first one awake, usually by 7:00. The other kids don't wake up for another hour or so, so when he wakes up, he comes in my room and depending on what time it is I either make him lay down on my floor on a pallet and go back to sleep, or I will turn my tv on for him to watch. Then I either get up and take my shower, have quiet time, or try to get some more sleep myself. Yesterday, I tried to go back to sleep. But after 30 min. I hadn't been able to go back to sleep, so I just got up and got dressed. By then, Leah was awake, so I went in to get her. I changed her and got her dressed and then changed Graham and got him dressed. The older girls were up by now too and they got dressed and then we all went downstairs for breakfast. Graham and Leah always eat fruit bars (Nutrigrain bars) for breakfast, and the girls just wanted cereal. I got them all situated, then I started a pot of coffee. Leah was extra fussy this morning (I think her hip has been bothering her, I will update about that at the end of this post), so I ended up holding her while I tried to pick up the kitchen a little and drink some coffee. Natalie unloaded the dishwasher while I finished making my grocery list. Then at 10:30, we all put our shoes on and went to Target to get groceries. Normally, I go to the store in the evening, by myself, or with just 1 or 2 of the kids. But we had just gotten back in town from the weekend and I didn't get to go on Sunday night, so I had to go with everyone Monday morning. I got one of those double buggies that can hold 3 kids. Leah sat in the regular buggy seat, and Erica and Graham sat in the extended seat. As soon as we walked in, I got all 4 kids Icees. I don't do this regularly, but I don't normally take them all with me when I have a big shopping trip, so I knew I wanted something that would keep them busy. It was Leah's first time having her own Icee and she was so happy about it. She just kept smiling at me and giggling! First we went to the baby section to get Leah some new sippy cups. Hers have been leaking and she has been more interested in drinking from our cups when we're out (with straws), so I thought I'd try some of the straw sippies with her. Then it was over to the grocery section for the rest of our list. We started in the back with the refrigerated items, and then onto frozen foods. By the time we were at the end of frozen foods, Graham had declared that he "not like this" Icee and threw it on the floor, of course causing some of it to spill out. I threw it away and he sulked. But luckily it was short lived. The kids were all really well behaved for the most part. Of course there were a few, "let's keep our hands and feet to ourselves", but for the most part, everyone did well. We left Target around 11:45 and I went through the Chick Fil A drive thru to get nuggets for the 3 youngest kids for lunch. Natalie and I were going to eat leftover pizza from the night before. We got home and I brought all the kids in and made their plates (nuggets/pizza, canned pears). Then I brought in all the groceries and put them away while the kids ate. When they were done, they went and played in the playroom while I ate my lunch. After that I put Graham and Leah to bed for their nap. Then I took my shower and got dressed. Then I got on the computer, checked email, facebook, blogs, and researched some homeschool curriculum a friend recommended. By this point it was almost 3:00, and I went downstairs to clean the kitchen and get dinner started. The girls helped pick up downstairs because their Meme and Pawpaw were coming over for dinner. Graham came down from his nap at some point and Leah woke up around 4:00, so I went and got her up and changed. A little after that a friend of mine stopped by so we could exchanged some things we'd borrowed from each other. Her kids and my kids played together for a few minutes. Then our dinner guests arrived and I was able to finish dinner without a baby on my hip or kids nipping at my heels. We visited with them and watched video of the girls' piano and dance recitals. When Eric got home, we all ate dinner and visited some more. After they left, the kids got baths and we got them ready for bed. Eric and I spent some time talking together on the couch and then I came upstairs to watch a little tv before bed while Eric studied downstairs.

Riveting, no?

Ok, so about Leah's hip. Week before last she came down with strep, double ear infection, and a yeast infection. Then that Saturday, we noticed she started limping. By Sunday, she wouldn't even walk. I took her to the dr. on Monday morning and she said she thought she had Transient Synovitis, which is basically an inflammation of a joint (in this case, her hip) after an infection. It can last 1-3 weeks and the only real treatment, is just Ibuprofen for the pain and inflammation. She said if she wasn't showing any improvement in a week, that we'd schedule a hip sonogram and maybe an x-ray. She seemed to be doing better over the past week. Eric and I even went out of town for the weekend for our 10th anniversary and left the kids with friends and she did fine all weekend. Then Sunday evening and yesterday, she was very fussy off and on and her limp seemed worse at times, but then about the same at others. So I decided to play it safe and called the pedi this morning to her a hip sonogram scheduled. She will go to that at 9am tomorrow (Wed) morning. Hopefully they will find nothing, and it's just the Transient Synovitis wearing off, but I want to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment